Internships and Co-Ops

UB Career Fair.

Students are eligible to earn academic credit for internships and co-ops that may fulfill degree requirements.

SEAS works closely with the UB Career Design Center to support our students in finding internships or co-op placements that align with their background and preferences, and help them better understand their future career objectives.

On this page:

Hire our Students

Are you an employer looking to hire SEAS student interns or co-ops? > See our recommended timeline and tips on how to obtain interns/co-ops.

Internship vs. Co-Op

Internship: Defined as any full- or part-time work experience related to an engineering degree program that takes place at a company while students continue their degree programs without interruption. Internships typically occur over the summer but can occur throughout the year. Students interested in earning academic credit for their internship should communicate with their department before the work experience begins to be enrolled in a departmental 496 course.

Co-Op (cooperative education): Defined as any full-time work experience related to an engineering degree program in which a student temporarily leaves school (at least one semester). These experiences typically last 6-9 months and delay graduation. Students may choose to take a leave of absence if they meet requirements. Alternatively, students can maintain full-time status by taking at least (2) credits of EAS 496 in each co-op semester. This protects the student’s insurance, loan deferment and possible immigration status.  Some financial aid awards and scholarships cannot recognize this standing. Co-ops can also be used for academic credit. Learn more about co-ops.

How to Find an Internship or Co-Op

How to Obtain Academic Credit

Though there are differences by department, the general process for receiving academic credit requires:

  1. Attaining an internship for an upcoming semester (or summer).
  2. Attaining Curricular Practical Training (CPT) approval if you are an international student (via ISSS office and your department).
  3. Submitting an online application form for departmental review.
  4. Having approval from departmental internship coordinators and/or faculty advisor.
  5. Force registration into the appropriate course number (this should happen automatically once you are approved; you should confirm registration within HUB).
  6. Completion of the course requirements set forth by your department/faculty advisor.

Students should discuss specifics about obtaining credit with advisors in their home departments.