We celebrate our 40th departmental anniversary with a graduate symposium at the Center for Tomorrow on the UB North Campus on April 13, 2007. The following day, we host a day of talks and a reception for our alumni and friends at the Ramada Hotel and Conference Center in Amherst, NY.
Our featured speakers included:
- C.L. Max Nikias (MS, '80; PhD, '82), provost at the University of Southern California, who discussed "How Timeless Values Generate Timely Innovation".
- Bruce Shriver (PhD, '71), UB CS's first doctoral graduate, now of Genesis 2 Inc. and professor at large at the University of Tromso, Norway, who discussed "The Increasing Diversity of Computer Architectures."
- Deepak Kumar (MS, '88; PhD, '94), professor and chair of computer science at Bryn Mawr College, who discussed new directions in computer science education.
- Former UB faculty member John Case, professor in the Department of Computer and Information Sciences at the University of Delaware, spoke on computational learning.
- Anthony Ralson, founding chair of the department and UB professor emeritus, addressed the conference.
- Satish K. Tripathi, UB provost, executive vice president for academic affairs and professor of computer science and engineering.
- Harvey G. Stenger Jr., dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
- Bharat Jayaraman, professor and chair of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering.
- Stuart C. Shapiro, professor and former chair of the UB department.