Internships and Co-Ops

Internships give students an opportunity to experience the business side of engineering before beginning their careers.

On this page:

Professor Shahid Ahmad, Internship Supervisor

239 Ketter Hall

(716) 645-4371

Internship vs. Co-Op

Internship: Defined as any full- or part-time work experience related to an engineering degree program that takes place at a company while students continue their degree programs without interruption. Internships typically occur over the summer but can occur throughout the year. Students interested in earning academic credit for their internship should communicate with their department before the work experience begins to be enrolled in a CIE 496 course.

Co-Op (cooperative education): Defined as any full-time work experience related to an engineering degree program in which a student temporarily leaves school (at least one semester). These experiences typically last 6-9 months and delay graduation. Students may choose to take a leave of absence if they meet requirements. Alternatively, students can maintain full-time status by taking at least (2) credits of EAS 496 in each co-op semester. This protects the student’s insurance, loan deferment and possible immigration status.  Some financial aid awards and scholarships cannot recognize this standing. Co-ops can also be used for academic credit. Learn more about co-ops.

How to Find an Internship or Co-Op

How to Obtain Academic Credit


The General process for receiving academic credit requires students to:

  1. Attain an internship for an upcoming semester (or summer/winter session)
  2. Attain Curricular Practical Training (CPT) approval if you are an international students (via UB International Student Services)
  3. Submit an online application form for departmental review
  4. Have approval from departmental internship coordinators and/or faculty advisor.
  5. Force register into the appropriate course number (this should happen automatically once you are approved; you should confirm registration with HUB)
  6. Complete the course requirements set forth by the department/faculty advisor

CIE 496

Students may obtain practical experience by enrolling in CIE 496 (Civil/Env. Engineering Internship), which may be used as a technical elective if taken summer after junior year, or later. The internship will involve working on an engineering project in a practical setting (private design, consulting and/or construction company office, governmental agency office, construction site, etc.) under the joint guidance of a practicing engineer and a faculty advisor. Students must have a "Good Senior Standing" (senior with overall and engineering GPA above a 2.0). Projects shall involve applying knowledge acquired in course work to practice civil or environmental engineering.

Career Resources

UB Career Services

UB Career services' career planning experts help students prepare for their careers. The office will review resumés and cover letters, conduct practice interviews and help students connect with alumni and employers.


Bullseye is Career Services' virtual tool to connect students with potential employers. Students and alumni can find job and internship opportunities and potential employers can connect to our students and alumni.

Student Stories