First Year Student FAQs

Welcome to the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences! Here you'll find answers to some of our more frequently asked questions. 

How can I tell whether my courses will be in person or remote?

You can find the specific instruction modes within the Class Details portion of the Class Information section. For more information on how to locate the instruction mode, review the HUB Student Center Training Guide.



My Advisor

Who is my advisor?

You are assigned an academic advisor in the Office of Undergraduate Education, UB School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS), (716) 645-2775,

You can find your advisor’s name and contact information in the SEAS Portal and in the HUB Student Center.

Eventually, you will also have a faculty advisor who will help you with planning that becomes important in your junior and senior years.

Do I have to see an advisor to register for future classes?

We encourage all students to see an advisor each term to get information on the appropriate courses to take, and in some cases, advisement will be required.  There are many important sequencing issues that you need to be aware of, including things like course requisites and once a year course offerings. 

Please see our course flowsheets for a better understanding of some these sequencing issues. Be sure to select the correct academic year, AY 2020-2021, so that you are accessing the correct version of the curriculum.

My Major/My Schedule

I viewed my schedule in HUB, but want to change a class or two. Do I have to talk to an advisor?

Classes in your schedule were selected by an academic advisor to fulfill specific requirements in your major and/or the UB Curriculum. In most cases the same schedule was also given to several other students so that it will be easier for you to meet and study with other SEAS majors. Changes to your schedule are possible, but will mean that this continuity will not be as effective for you. There may be issues regarding prerequisites, limited course offerings, multiple course components, and course reserves that an advisor should give you input on. You will not be able to drop classes on your own, but your advisor may ask you to add a UB Curriculum course. You will need to submit schedule change requests through our online form no later than Friday, August 7. 

Once classes start you will be able to make adjustments to your registration, but we recommend you drop-in to our office in 410 Bonner Hall for assistance, especially in your first term.  As per the student calendar, there are deadlines to add/drop/resign classes.   

I want to change my major. How do I do this and do I have to change my schedule?

If you are changing between two engineering majors and neither of these is computer engineering or engineering physics, you will not need to change your first-semester schedule. However, if you are switching to or from Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Engineering Physics, your requirements may change your first semester schedule. Use the details section of our New Freshman Schedule Change Request form to request a change in your major no later than Friday, August 7.

Why are EAS 199, CHE 107, and/or CSE 115 each listed multiple times in my schedule?

EAS 199 Engineering Principles has a seminar and lab section. CHE 107 General Chemistry I for Engineers has a lecture and recitation (CHE 127 is the required laboratory for CHE 107). Attendance at all components is required. CSE 115 has a required lecture, lab, and recitation section. Click here for definitions of the different course components.

How does the MTH 141 College Calc I online class work (section VT/VT1)?

Primary instructional materials, including lecture videos and homework, are released on a weekly schedule at the course website. Exams are taken in person at the times listed in the syllabus. They are proctored at UB or at instructor-approved testing centers on other college campuses. Additional instructional opportunities include:

• Weekly recitations which will be online, interactive, and held at scheduled times. Each meeting will also be recorded and posted on the course website for later viewing.

• Online review sessions before each exam.

• Office hours conducted through an online discussion board, with questions answered on an as-needed basis.

• In-person office hours held by the instructor and teaching assistants.

• Math help center and “The Math Place” on campus offer walk-in tutoring.

Further questions?

Contact Dr. David Hemmer or Dr. Michael Casper

Why is CHE 110 on my schedule?

CHE 110 is a one semester augmentation to CHE 107 for students who are concerned about their readiness for science courses at UB. CHE 110 is also recommended for students who did not take high school chemistry, or did not perform well in chemistry in high school.  Students entering CHE 107 are assumed to have working knowledge of the material from the New York State high school Regents Chemistry course, or an equivalent.   For students who have not yet taken a Chemistry course, and students whose Chemistry Regents exam scores indicate a need for strengthened preparation, CHE 110 provides a bridge to help maximize chances of success upon enrolling in CHE 110.

Is ten minutes enough time in between classes?

Ten minutes is enough time for students without accessibility concerns to get from one class on the North Campus Academic Spine to another. Students are advised to allow approximately 20-30 minutes to travel between the Academic Spine and the Ellicott Complex on the North Campus, and one hour to travel between classes on the North Campus and South Campus.

Units/Credit Hours

How many units/credits do I need to take this term?

There are a few things to take into consideration when determining the right amount of credits in a given term:

  • Timely progress to degree: To graduate in four years the typical SEAS student needs approximately 17 credit hours per term. However, if you prefer to take a lighter course load you may choose to take summer courses or take a little longer to graduate. Of course, if you have already earned transfer credit or other college credit that will meet a graduation requirement (in your major or perhaps for UB Curriculum) then you could choose a lighter course load at some point during your studies: early on if you are worried about the transition or later when the courses may become more challenging. 
  • Dean’s List: If you would like to be eligible for the University Dean’s List, you must take at least 15 credits per semester. 
  • Financial Aid: Students generally need at least 12 new credits to be considered full-time and eligible for most forms of aid. (Repeating courses that you have already earned credit for are not considered new credit).  Students who receive any New York State Grants or Scholarships must take a minimum of 12 degree-applicable credits (DACs) per semester.  This includes but is not limited to NY's Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), STEM Scholarship, and Excelsior Scholarship.  In addition, students in the Excelsior Scholarship must complete a total of 30 DACs over the course of a year.  Freshmen can apply college credit earned in high school toward the 30 DAC minimum.  Please refer to for additional eligibility rules.  

Transfer Credits

Will the college credit I earned in high school through a local college/university count for anything?

If the school that you took classes at was an accredited institution these courses will probably transfer to UB for credit. Visit UB’s Transfer Articulation System (TAURUS) to find out exactly how your courses will transfer (what UB requirement they might satisfy). 

If you noted transfer credit on your orientation data form then we accounted for this in your fall schedule by avoiding any UB classes that would duplicate a requirement. Please note that if you have not already done so, you need to have the college/university granting college credit send an official college transcript to:

Office of Admissions
University at Buffalo
12 Capen Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260.

We have not verified receipt of any transfer credit at UB. You will need to confirm your transfer credit through later advising sessions during the academic year.

Note: This video provides a helpful overview!

I have college credit for my high school Project Lead the Way courses. Can I use them towards my engineering degree?

Project Lead The Way (PLTW) coursework is accepted as general elective credit (TR 999TR).  PLTW coursework is a valuable preparatory experience for engineering programs, however this credit will not satisfy a specific engineering degree requirement.  PLTW credit contributes to total credit hours required for degree, and will contribute to total credits earned when assigning enrollment appointments for future course registration.

Advanced Placement (AP) Credits

Do I get credit for AP classes that I took in high school?

Please visit the Office of the Registrar's website. Here, you will find articulation for each AP exam offered. To earn credit as outlined in this chart you must have the College Board send an official score report to UB (SUNY Center Buffalo/School Code 2925). If you did not do this at the time you took the exam(s) or after you made the decision to attend UB, do so now! A high school transcript is not accepted as proof of AP credit.

This video provides a helpful overview!

According to the chart above and/or the UB Curriculum, I expect to earn credit for the calculus, chemistry, physics, computer science or English class that is in my fall schedule. What are my options? What do you advise?

Please view this video, submit your inquiry via the Freshman Schedule Change Request form no later than Friday, August 7, and let us help you determine the best way to proceed.


I am coming to UB from outside the area and will need housing. Where can I get information?

Information can be obtained from Campus Living. You can also call them toll-free at 866-285-8806. In addition, if desired there is Off-Campus Housing information.


How do I get started with technology (activate UBIT Name, get UB email, get software and apps)?

What kind of computer do I need?

See Student Computer Standards for more information.

What kind of calculator will I need for my classes?

While not required, some students prefer to use a graphing calculator in some classes. Our recommendation is to get a good scientific calculator with at least the following properties: Log and anti-log, Exponentials, Sin and Cos, and their inverses. However, most professors will not allow you to use them when taking tests, especially during your first two years.