Frequently Asked Questions
Get answers to all of your questions related to the 2023 SEAS Commencement Ceremonies.
If I have applied for degree conferral in HUB, do I still need to register to participate in the commencement ceremony?
Yes, applying for graduation in HUB signals to the university that you plan to graduate (i.e., receive your degree). A separate registration is required to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Do I need to apply for graduation before registering for the commencement ceremony?
Yes, this is how we know that you are planning to graduate.
How do I apply for graduation if I missed the HUB deadline (Feb. 22 for Spring 2023 conferral)?
- Bachelor’s Degree Candidates If you did not submit that application via HUB by the February 22nd deadline, please fill out this form ASAP: https://registrar.buffalo.edu/forms/graduation-update.php
- Master’s Degree Candidates: If you did not submit the application via HUB by February 22nd, please contact your department’s Graduate Academic Coordinator as soon as possible.
- Doctoral Degree Candidates should have completed the Application to Candidacy (ATC) initially and then the Amend ATC form if they need to change the conferral term. PhD students do not apply for graduation via HUB. Please contact your department’s Graduate Academic Coordinator if you do not have a graduation date set and you are planning to attend the 2023 commencement ceremony. https://grad.buffalo.edu/succeed/graduate/application-to-candidacy.html
Are students required to attend the commencement ceremony?
No, participation in the in-person ceremony is optional.
Do I receive my diploma at the ceremony?
No, all UB diplomas are mailed approximately six (6) weeks after the conferral of your degree. See the registrar’s website for more details.
Why are there two graduate ceremonies this year?
There are two graduate ceremonies this year to accommodate the size of the graduating class.
How do I know which ceremony to attend on Saturday, May 20, 2023?
When you register to attend the ceremony, the registration system will automatically recognize which ceremony you should attend. You will not need to make any ceremony selections.
- Undergraduate Ceremony, 5:00 PM: All BS majors, including BS/MBA programs, are included in this ceremony
- Graduate Ceremony 1, 9:00 AM:
- Department of Biomedical Engineering (MS, PhD)
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering (MS, PhD)
- Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ME Engineering Management; MS, PhD Industrial Engineering)
- Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MS, PhD Aerospace Engineering; MS, PhD Mechanical Engineering)
- Graduate Ceremony 2, 1:00 PM:
- Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering (ME, MS, PhD Chemical Engineering)
- Department of Civil Structural and Environmental Engineering (MS, PhD Civil Engineering; MS, PhD Environmental and Water Resources Engineering)
- Department of Electrical Engineering (MS, PhD)
- Department of Materials Design and Innovation (MS, PhD)
- Interdisciplinary programs: Computational and Data Enables Sciences (PhD), Data Sciences and Applications (MPS), Engineering Science (MS), Sustainable Transportation and Logistics (MS)
If I am a summer 2023 candidate, can I attend this year’s ceremony?
- Undergraduate Ceremony: Students graduating Summer 2023 are officially a member of the Class of 2024. However, if you would prefer to participate in this year's ceremony instead, you can. After you have applied for August 2023 degree conferral you will be able to register for this year's ceremony. At the ceremony, your name will be announced when you cross the stage; however, your name will not be included in the printed program.
- Graduate Ceremony: Students graduating Summer 2023 are officially a degree candidate for next academic year (Class of 2024). Graduate students who have extenuating circumstances are handled on an individual basis. Permission of your major professor and/or department is needed for early participation (Summer 2023 graduates). Your name will be announced when you cross the stage; however, your name will not be included in the printed program. Please contact your department’s graduate academic coordinator to request participation.
If I am a summer 2023 candidate, will my name be in the printed Commencement program?
No, the printed Commencement program includes Summer 2022, Fall 2022, and Spring 2023 conferrals.
If I am a summer 2023 candidate, will my name be read as I cross the stage?
Yes, the names of all students are read when they cross the stage.
Do I need to wear a cap and gown for the ceremony?
Yes, all participants must be in full cap and gown.
What color is the cap, gown, and hood for SEAS students?
Bachelor's Degree Candidates
- Cap and gown: Blue
- Hood: Lined in blue and gold. The velvet border is 2 inches wide.
- Engineering: Orange
- Computer Science: Yellow
- Engineering: Orange
- Computer Science: Yellow
BS engineering degree candidates in commencement regalia (orange tassel/hood lining).
BS computer science degree candidates in commencement regalia (yellow tassel/hood lining).
Master's Degree Candidates
- Cap and gown: Black
- Hood: Lined in blue and gold. The velvet border is 3 inches wide and is orange for all SEAS master’s students.
- Tassel: Orange for all SEAS master’s students
MS degree candidate in commencement regalia.
Doctoral Degree Candidates
- Tam: Black; eight-sided
- Gown: Black with velvet elements
- Hood: Lined in blue and gold. The velvet border is 5 inches wide and is dark blue for all PhD students.
- Tassel: Dark blue
PhD candidate in commencement regalia.
Can I purchase regalia from Amazon or use someone else's from previous years?
We highly recommend you purchase official regalia through Jostens. In extenuating circumstances, you may use other items, but the colors and design must match the SEAS design and colors.
If I am receiving a master’s degree, am I able to purchase the gold Latin Honors cord?
No, only students earning a baccalaureate degree OR combined BS/MS degree and who meet the qualifications for Latin Honors are eligible to purchase and wear the gold Latin Honors cord.
Is there a fee to attend the commencement ceremony?
No, the only fee associated is the purchase of regalia if participating.
Can I invite guests to the ceremony?
Guests of graduates are permitted at both ceremonies and must follow all university health and safety requirements.
There are no ticket requirements for the graduate ceremonies. Students who register for undergraduate commencement can access 4 tickets for the ceremony. More details are forthcoming regarding ticket distribution.
I am an international student, does the University provide an invitation letter for my parents to apply for their VISA?
UB does not provide invitation letters. International students who would like to invite their parents to celebrate their accomplishments should use the template on the ISS website.
Do you have information on Alumni Arena directions, parking and accessibility?
How long does the ceremony last?
The ceremony will last approximately two hours