Awards and Innovations
- Aaron Estes, assistant professor of teaching in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, has received the 2019 Vanderhoef Faculty Award.
- UB mechanical engineering alum and Cal State LA faculty member David Blekhman has been selected as a Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Alternative Energy Technology.
- Shenqiang Ren, Professor, received a new award from the U.S. Department of Energy, “Scalable and Cost-Effective Roll-To-Roll Additive Manufacturing Of Highly Durable And Thermal Insulating Silica-Carbon Aerogel.”
- Amin Karami, Assistant Professor, received a new award from the National Science Foundation, “Collaborative Research: Controlling Flow Separation via Traveling Wave Actuators.”
- PhD student Philip Odonkor was selected to address his fellow SEAS graduate students at the Spring 2019 commencement ceremony.
- Kemper Lewis, chair of the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and Moog Professor of Innovation, received the 2019 ASME Donald N. Zwiep Innovation in Education Award.
- Francine Battaglia, a professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, has been named a Fellow of the American Society of Thermal and Fluids Engineers (ASTFE).
- Philip Odonkor, a PhD student in mechanical engineering, is one of 15 UB students who has been named a recipient for the 2019 SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence.
- Mechanical engineering alumnus Benjamin Pawlik was selected as this year’s Engineer of the Year by the UB Engineering and Applied Sciences Alumni Association.
- PhD student Jesse Callanan was awarded second place in the Best Student Paper Contest at SPIE’s 26th Annual International Symposium on Smart Structures + Nondestructive Evaluation.
- Undergraduate student Leah Nolan was named a 2019 Brooke Owens Fellow.
- Undergraduate student Fatak Borhani was named one of Aviation Week’s 20 Twenties for 2019.
- PhD student Philip Odonkor was selected to present a lightning round talk at the 2019 Rosenfeld Symposium in Berkeley, Calif.
- Kemper Lewis was named the inaugural Moog Endowed Professor of Innovation.
Young Investigator Awards