Frequently Asked Questions

Graduate Admissions

International Students


How do I apply?

Please apply using the online application.

What is the application deadline?

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. 

For full consideration for funding and fellowships, the online application deadline for Fall admission is January 1. The online application deadline for Spring admission is October 15. For priority consideration by the Graduate Admissions Committee, please apply by these deadlines.  

What is the deadline to submit all supporting documentation?

For full consideration for funding/fellowships the deadline for Fall admission is January 1. The deadline for Spring admission is October 15.

Which documents do I need?

Please see the Application Materials page which outlines all the documents needed.

Where do I send my documents?

All documents should be uploaded electronically into the online application system. Please do not send any hard copies of your documents.

What is the application fee? How do I pay it?

A nonrefundable fee of $85 per degree must be submitted for each application to graduate degree study at any SUNY campus. You may pay the application fee online with a credit card or echeck via the online application.

Which transcripts should I send?

Please do not send transcripts prior to acceptance. Unofficial transcripts should be uploaded to your online application. Please note that original transcripts / diploma certificates must be brought to the school in person upon arrival at UB or orientation.

How many Letters of Recommendation are required? How are they submitted?

Three letters (3) of recommendation are required. While we will accept letters from  professional sources, we strongly prefer letters from professors who are acquainted with your academic interests, achievements, and abilities. These letters are to be submitted electronically through the online application system.

How will I know if I have been accepted?

Please consult the online application system for the status of your application. Upon acceptance into the program, letters of admissions are sent via email along with a statement of intent form. Upon your acceptance (via statement of intent form), a paper copy of your admissions letter will be sent to you.  

Can I defer admission to another semester?

You are eligible to defer an acceptance offer  for up to one academic year without penalty. Admission deferrals beyond one academic year require a new application, which will have to be re-reviewed by the admissions committee. To request a deferral upon admission to the program, please a request for deferral with your statement of intent form or email Graduate Admissions at

Can I take classes as a non-matriculated student?

Domestic students may take classes as a non-matriculated student, but must be admitted to the program. International students must be on an on an F1 visa in order to take classes as a non-matriculated student.

Can I transfer credits from another university?

It is possible to transfer credits from another university if the course grade is "B" or better and the course(s) is relevant to the EE degree program. For the MS and ME programs, no more than 6 credit hours may be transferred to satisfy the degree requirements. For the PhD degree program, a maximum of 30 credit hours as earned MS degree, may be counted towards the 72 credit hour requirement.

Is Financial Aid available?

If you are interested in financial aid in the form of a teaching assistantship or research assistantship, please check the appropriate box on the application form. No applicant will be considered for financial aid until the application is complete and the applicant has been admitted.

Fill out the International Applicant Financial Form. You will need to fill out the form labeled "Graduate Students - Standard" for the appropriate academic year.

For more information, visit or contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Aside from a bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, are there other prerequisites?

In addition to holding a bachelor's degree in engineering or any of the mathematical, physical, behavioral, or health sciences, each entering student is expected to be skilled in a number of specific areas. Proficiency is required in mathematics through the level of multivariate calculus, probability and statistics considered from a calculus point of view, and computer programming.

These requirements must be satisfied prior to admission. Students whose backgrounds have not adequately prepared them to enter the graduate curriculum directly may be asked to take appropriate undergraduate courses. Credit for these courses will not be applied toward the minimum number of hours required for the MS/ME degrees. In exceptional cases, the department may admit an applicant who does not meet all these requirements; in such cases, the department will set special performance criteria for continuing in the program.


What is Auto-Admit? Who is eligible?

Auto-admit is the way the Department recognizes top graduating EE seniors by offering automatic admittance for graduate study at UB EE.  Students selected for auto-admittance are notified after the mid-point of the fall semester of their senior year.

International Students

Is UB welcoming place for international students?

Absolutely! UB has been consistently ranked as a top U.S. host university for international students. UB's strong academic programs and reputation for excellent services and support continue to make the university a leading destination for students around the world.  

See more at: UB among top 20 U.S. host universities for international students 

What is needed for the TOEFL?

Information and arrangements to take the exam can be made by contacting the Educational Testing Service at

It is strongly recommended to make test arrangements early in the year so sufficient time can be allowed for the results to be reported before our application deadline.

Please send your TOEFL results to us by using the following codes: Institution code 2925; Department code 66

What is the Financial Statement?

All international applicants must submit a completed financial statement. International Applicant Financial Form. Please complete the form labeled "Graduate Students - Standard" for the appropriate academic year.

Answer all questions thoroughly. An I-20 cannot be issued without this statement documenting necessary funds for each year of intended study (two years for a master's program; five years for a PhD program).

Where does the I-20 come from?

The I-20 is sent from UB International Admissions. The I-20 is not sent from the Department of Electrical Engineering.

When should I expect my I-20?

The I-20 takes approximately six weeks for processing. To expedite your application, submit all required documentation including your passport bio page, financial statement and application fee as early as possible. These can be uploaded online, with your application.

Upon receiving the official I-20 Welcome packet, you should make arrangements for housing, register for International Student Orientation, apply for your student visa, and arrange for travel to Buffalo, New York.

If you have further questions after reviewing this page, please direct them to and one of our staff members will reply.