Advising and Registration

MAE offers academic advising and registration help to all MAE students.

On this page:

Advising FAQ's

Who is my Advisor?

As a UB MAE student, you have the ability to utilize a variety of advising services. 

SEAS Office of Undergraduate Education

SEAS Engineering Advisors are available for Freshman and Sophomore students as well as first semester transfer students. They also assist with areas such as:

  • UB Curriculum
  • SEAS-wide policies (i.e. Academic review, Admissions)
  • University-wide policies (i.e. TAP, Leave of Absense)

MAE Department Advising

The Undergraduate Coordinator advises Junior and Senior MAE students, and assists with:

  • MAE course registration issues (see below)
  • MAE-specific policies (i.e. Tech Electives)

The Undergraduate Coordinator does mostly walk-in advising in 251 Bell Hall, but will take advising appointments by request.

MAE Faculty Mentors

Faculty mentors assist with questions related to career aspirations, research goals, and graduate school guidance. Students will need to sign up to be assigned an MAE Faculty Mentor.

What electives do I need?

Aerospace Engineering, BS

  • 1 SEAS Technical Elective: Any 300/400 level 3-credit course that is offered by a department within SEAS can be used as an SEAS technical elective.

Mechanical Engineering, BS

  • 3 MAE Technical Electives: Any 300/400 level 3-credit course in MAE that is not a required course qualifies as a MAE technical elective. Current MAE Tech Elective List.
  • 2 Track Electives: Students will elect to take either the Professional Practice track or the Science and Mathematics track; mixing of tracks is not permitted. List of courses can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.
  • 1 Applied Math Elective: List of courses can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.

Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (Double Major), BS

Mechanical Engineering & Business Administration BS/MBA

  • 3 MAE Technical Electives: Any 300/400 level 3-credit course in MAE that is not a required course qualifies as a MAE technical elective. Current MAE Tech Elective List.

ReminderA maximum of 6 total credits (2 courses) are permitted to count towards degree requirements for informal courses (496/498/499).

I haven't taken MAE 277/278 and need to replace it.

If you have completed Junior level MAE courses, and did not complete MAE 277/278, you should replace this course with an SEAS Technical Elective. This is a 3-credit 300-400 level course within SEAS (BME, CBE, CSEE, CSE, EE, IE, or MAE).

How do I get credit for an internship, research experience or independent study?

To count as an elective, you must register for 3 credits of MAE 496/498/499. A maximum of 6 total credits are permitted to count towards degree requirements for informal courses (496/498/499). Additional information can be found at the links below.

I am a transfer student who took MAE 177 or EAS 230 elsewhere.

If you took MAE 177 or EAS 230 at another school, you may not have the appropriate software that is required for upper level courses. If this is the case, you should consult your academic advisor regarding next steps.

  • MAE 177 software: Creo Parametric
  • EAS 230 software: MATLAB


Registration Issues

Pre-Requisite Missing

If you do not have the required pre-reqs, you cannot enroll in the course. There are no exceptions to this. If the course requires a co-req, that means you must be registering for this course at the same time, or have the course completed prior to registration. View the SEAS Course Prerequisite Policy.

  • If you have completed the required pre-requisite but are still unable to register, complete the Force Registration Form below, and upload proof of completion.
  • If you are enrolled in a pre-requisite at another institution (i.e., taking a summer course at ECC), complete the Force Registration Form below, and upload proof of registration.
  • If you are a non-MAE student trying to enroll in MAE courses, complete the Force Registration Form below and provide justification (i.e., Manufacturing minor, non-degree seeking student, etc.).

Course Closed

If the course is closed, that means there are no additional seats in the course. We are under strict fire marshal regulations regarding maximum capacity. If a course is closed, you will need to select another section. However, if there are no other options to choose from due to time conflicts, some courses may have additional seats on standby for this case. Fill out the Force Registration Form below if this is the case and we will check your schedule, and register you if it is both necessary and available. If a course is on a waitlist, we will not bump you up in front of other students.

Time Conflict

Time conflict errors occur when you are trying to enroll in two courses that are at the same time, which is not possible. You will need to select other options.


If you are repeating a course, you may need an advisor's permission to register. Fill out the Force Registration Form below and we will contact you about advisement.

Permission Required

If the course requires department permission, fill out the Force Registration Form below. If the course requires instructor permission, contact the instructor for help. 

Reminder: Any exceptions with regards to registration are taken seriously and reviewed by our accrediting agency, ABET. If you don't qualify based on these terms, we can't register you.

Force Registration Request - MAE classes only

If you need to be forced into an MAE course please complete and submit the form below after reading the "Registration Issues" section above. We are only able to force you in to MAE courses. For courses in other departments you must speak with the department offering the course for assistance. Submitting this form does not guarantee you will be registered into the course. You can expect to be contacted within 3 business days with an update regarding your request. 

e.g. MAE 336
5-digit course code associated with lecture.
i.e. L1
5-digit course code associated with recitation or lab.
Reason for Request
Reason for Request
Review "Registration Issues" section.
Please verify the following
Please verify the following


Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) enables F-1 students to take part in an internship or other experience that is integral to the curriculum of their degree program.

Step 1: Sign up for MAE 496

Step 2: Submit form below to request advisor recommendation letter.

Please describe here how the proposed work experience is integral to the curriculum.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training is an F-1 student benefit that allows you to work off-campus in a job related to your major. It is meant to supplement your academic experience with practical experience.

Submit form below to request advisor recommendation letter.

I have applied for graduation
I have applied for graduation

Credit Limit Override

Additional Forms

Additional Resources