CSE collects Computing Services (CS) fees to cover critical departmental expenses:
- UB and SEAS do not fund CSE to purchase compute servers or computing infrastructure equipment.
- CSE is required to contribute at least 50% of startup equipment funds for new faculty hires.
Other UB departments mandate IFR instead.
For all research grant proposals or pending awards, CSE asks each principal investigator to:
- Include the CS fee in the budget. Round up your monthly effort (so even if it's 0.2 months, make it 1 month) and specify the CS-fee related effort in each year and the amount in the ESPAS submission system's "Comment" section.
- Send Virginia the updated/final budget, with the info on the CS-fee related effort in each year and the amount.
- Work with Virginia on billing SPS quarterly for the CS-fee, according to the (final) budgeted CS-fee.
The approved CSE Computing Services fee rate for sponsored activity is $156/month, approved September, 2015.