Research Student Supervision
- Alex Pham, a graduate student (2016) at UIUC conducted summer research project on “The Investigation of Adsorption Kinetics of amine-based surfactants as friction modifiers”.
- Tooba Shoaib, a graduate student (2015) at UIUC conducted research project on “The understanding nano-particle contaminant uptake by living cells”.
- Nupur Bhutt, a REU undergraduate student (2014) from Cornell University conducted a 2 months research project on “Measuring the nano-mechanical properties of pH responsive bilayer brushes using Scanning probe microscopy”.
- Luke Villermin, a REU undergraduate student (2014) from Louisiana Tech. University, conducted a 2 months research project on “Investigation of colloid- roughness on the contact mechanics of soft materials”.
- Danielle Fau, an undergraduate student (2013) from University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, US, conducted a 2 months senior design project on “Study of the binding forces between anti-ICAM -1 and functionalized nanogels with ICAM-1”. Her poster was awarded with the Third Best position in the department.
- Emily Buck, a REU undergraduate student (2013) from Drexel University, Philadelphia, US conducted a 4 months research project on “Development of functionalized nanocrystalline diamond-coated AFM tips for nanolithography”. Her work was awarded with the Best Student Paper Award and has been selected for Whitake Fellowship to conduct one year research at EPFL, Luassane, Switzerland.
- Harriet Crawford, an undergraduate student (2009) from Cambridge University, UK conducted a summer project on “Tribological investigation of co- polymers of poly(allylamine)-graft-poly(ethylene glycol) in aqueous-glycerol mixtures for steel vs. steel contact”.
- Adrian Waibel, a graduate student (2009) from ETH Zurich conducted a 3 months semester thesis on “Structural and solvation studies of polyelectrolyte co-polymers adsorbed from viscous aqueous based mixedsolvents using a quartz crystal microbalance at different surface densities”.
- Emily Manning, an undergraduate student (2008) from ETH, Zurich conducted a 3 months research project on “Investigation of the influence of anchoring stability of (single or multiple attachment) catechol-based poly (ethylene glycol) polymers on titanium surfaces on their tribological properties”.
- MDI 501: Introduction to Materials Informatics
- MDI 503: Structure and Thermodynamics of Materials
- MDI 507: Quantitative Methods in Material Characterization
- MDI 500: Soft Matter Design (Elective)