Curricular Practical Training (CPT): If you are looking to obtain CPT you need to speak with the International Student Services department (ISS). They are the ones who are the experts on this process, and will let you know if you qualify or not. Everything you need to know is on their website, including the academic advisor’s recommendation form. Once you have the form filled out, printed and you’ve spoken to ISS then you may bring the completed form to Sean McCabe in Bell 315 for further instructions:
ISS office is located: 210 Talbert Hall
· Note: only part time (20 hours or less) is allowed for final semester students.
We've also dedicated a page on our website on how to navigate the CPT process. Please review.
· Only Project Track students can complete full-time CPT in their final semester and you must have already been approved for Project Track. For further information on this please see Sean McCabe.
Please submit a request on our website (near the bottom)
Be sure to apply early. Three-four months before graduation, so that you will have it immediately following conferral.
Having trouble registering? There is a force registration form located on the SEAS portal. Please submit a form for processing, as this is the only path to being force registered. The IE department only controls IE courses.
All electives taken outside of SEAS must be approved FIRST. If you do not get approval you may not be able to use the course towards your degree requirements. The form for this process is located on our website, submit the form and you will receive an answer within a few days. Then you must see the department offering the course for enrollment.
IF you are awarded a student appointment: Appointments will be completed with-in the first two weeks of the semester. You will be contacted for any forms needed from you. If you have additional questions, they can be directed to Sean McCabe in 315 Bell Hall. Emailed preferred: firstname.lastname@example.org
PHD: information is on advisement forms, and you must have faculty agree to serve. Once the faculty have agreed, please contact Sean McCabe:email@example.com, to inform him who has agreed to serve.
B-Exam forms will be sent out every January.
MS: If you are an MS student you must be recommended by the faculty in order to take the B-Exam.
Please see the director of graduate studies, Jun Zhuang: firstname.lastname@example.org for information on this. You must have a valid justification for extending.
Forms are on the graduate school website, follow the instructions on the form and return completed form to Sean McCabe in 315 Bell Hall.
Students who are interested in leading a research project for an MS culminating experience should considering pursuing a MS thesis. For this, the student will need to work closely with a faculty advisor who will provide research guidance during the thesis.
1. Find a faculty advisor willing who is willing to advise you on your thesis. Either a faculty member will approach you or you are welcome to pitch your idea to the faculty member who has expertise in the area of your interest. Please see faculty biographies.
2. Once a faculty member agrees to work with you on a thesis, that faculty member will contact the ISE Graduate Coordinator.
3. You will then submit a track change request . This change allows international students to take a 4th semester to complete thesis, if needed. But you need to contact the ISS office to make sure you visa status is secure.
4. You are allowed a max of 6 credits and minimum of 3 credits of IE 559/560 MS research guidance to count towards your thesis.
Steps for the thesis defense:
1. You and your advisor will agree when you are ready to defend your thesis.
2. Once you have this date you must contact the Graduate Coordinator so a room can be scheduled. You must also send the graduate coordinator your advisor name(s), thesis title and abstract.
3. Once you defend your thesis, the required forms for your degree completion will be sent on your behalf to the graduate school.
4. Your last step will be to submit your thesis to the graduate school by the deadline listed here. This is also a good resource for you as it lists the format needed for your thesis as well as other important information.
Please note that the fulltime certification form dictates when your application to candidacy is submitted. If you need to be registered for less than full time in a given semester then you need to submit your application to candidacy with the full time certification before the start of the semester you need full time certification for.