Personal Protective Equipment
- ANSI certified eyewear is required during any experiment
outside of a laminar hood.
- Lab coats are required while inside the lab.
- Covered shoes, long sleeves, and long pants are required at all
No unofficial visitors in the laboratory space (if your advisor
approves, visitors are permitted at your desk only). Official
visitors in the laboratory space must be wearing ANSI certified
eyewear, covered shoes and a lab coat or long sleeves and long
No food or drink allowed in lab, except in desk areas that are
approved by the safety committee and clearly marked “NO
Maintain safe working conditions at all times.
Break down your experiment when completed:
- All chemicals back in storage
- All hazardous waste properly segregated
- All bio-hazards disposed of in proper red-bag containers
- Lab bench or hood wiped down and ready for next user
Repercussions for each calendar year (from last EH&S course
- First offense: Issued by: EH&S, CBE Faculty, or CBE Safety
Committee Member – Clean up and sent home for the day
- Second offense: Issued by: EH&S, CBE Faculty, or CBE Safety
Committee Member – EH&S safety training card expired
immediately. No lab access until the safety course is retaken and a
new card submitted to the safety committee.
- Third offense: Issued by: EH&S, CBE Faculty, or CBE Safety
Committee Member – Out of lab for one month and referred to
Dean of Engineering and Applied Sciences for review.