Complete this form to update your information in the CBE Alumni Directory Listing or send us some current news! We'd love to know what you're up to and how you're doing.
Get professional advice for writing your resume or curriculum vitae (CV), view samples and templates, and learn how to tell your unique story.
A resume is a one- to two-page document that outlines your education, skills, accomplishments, and experience. Its purpose is to help you capture the attention of an employer so you can get an interview.
When seeking a full-time job, design your resume to highlight your most related experience and skills. Write about internship(s), related volunteer experiences; academic or individual projects depending on your ﬁeld of study or career goals.
Here are some typical sections to include:
Objectives can be an opportunity to connect you to a specific job/internship, but they are not mandatory.
Seeking an internship in human services for the Summer of 20XX utilizing demonstrated interpersonal and helping skills.
Lists your degrees and other relevant training.
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
Bachelor of Arts or Science, Major, Expected Month 20XX
• Action verbs and bullets. Use strong verbs like “created” rather than soft verbs like “assisted.”
• Avoid passive phrasing such as “duties include,” “responsible for,” or “project was completed by using.”
• Quantify information by including numbers, percentages, and dollar amounts.
• Demonstrate achievements by showing how you saved an employer money, time or resources.
• Freshmen/sophomores: List high school experiences.
If you have related professional experience, showcase that experience at the top of your resume detailing your accomplishments that might apply to that job.
Title of Project, Semester Year
• Identify team/classroom/individual noteworthy academic projects.
• Concisely demonstrate your skills and knowledge.
• Integrate other skills when communicating specific
(Ex: Presented findings to more than 30 students, enhancing communication and presentation skills.)
• Include your individual contributions and outcomes where possible.
Marketing Plan, Spring 20XX
• Perform situation analysis to determine relevant details about potential market share and target audience
• Identifying opportunities and challenges based on analysis to begin developing measurable objectives, strategies and implementing media plans
This is especially helpful when looking for internships or part-time job without having a lot of work experience.
Organization, Title, Date Range
• Include accomplishments using strong verbs.
UB Club Hockey, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York
• Organize and lead weekly practices for team of 15
• Study practice schedules and modify practices to simulate competition
• Communicate with and encourage players to develop team chemistry
Indicate noteworthy academic, athletic, community, club, and employer recognition. If 1-3 honors, consider incorporating into Education section rather than creating separate section.
HONORS & AWARDS
Health Essential Association’s Volunteer Service Award 20XX
Enroll in our Coursera- How to Write a Resume course, an online course that guides you to having an eye-catching resume, letting your professional strengths shine.
*This course is free when you use your @buffalo.edu email.
Many countries use the words resume and CV interchangeably, so make sure you understand what documents you are required to submit.
• Login to Bullseye powered by Handshake to access GoinGlobal where you can view resume and CV samples by country.